Known as Puhar, this once flourishing port city was known as Kaveri Poompattinam and was the capital of early Chola kings. It is believed that large parts of the ancient town were washed away by erosion and floods, sometime around 500 AD.
The details of the general plans of the city are described in the ancient text called Silapadhikaram. Buddhism is said to have flourished in Poompuhar two thousand years ago. A 7 storied structure, dedicated to the Silapadhikaram Art Gallery, focuses on Sangam literature and is an impressive place for tourists to visit.
Silapadhikaram Art Gallery:
Classically built, its first floor is 12 feet high and the other floors have a height of 5 feet. At its entrance is a Magara Thornveld, designed in similar fashion to the one found in Suruli Malai Mangala Devi Temple.
The artifacts in this gallery were created by the sculptors of Mamallapuram, and bear scenes from the epic Malia. An anklet shaped tank is within the building premises, and there are statues of Kannagi and Madhavi on either side
A monument referred to in the Silapadhikaram which has only academic relevance to the epic.
An attractive presentation of the stage where the arrangement of Madhavi took place.
Temples Around Poompuhar
Dedicated to Sayavaneswarar and Iraivi Kiyilamman Nanmozhi Ammai, it is a padal petra sthalam which is just 2 kms away. The Nayanmarks have sung hymns in praise of Lord Shiva in this temple, and chola inscriptions are found here.
A fine temple with rich heritage, this temple has been glorified in the hymns of Saivite Saint Thirugnana Sambandar. Kovalan and Kannagi of the Silapadhikaram were born here, and so were Iyarpakkai Nayanar and Pattinathar.
Melapperumpallam and Keezhaperupallam:
Dedicated to Valampuranathar and Vaduvaikanniammal, this temple is located on the Poompuhar – Sirkazhi road. Thirugnana Sambandar is said to have sung hymns here in praise of the lord.
Keezhaperumpallam is 3 kms from Poompuhar and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Here, there is also a shrine for Ketu.
This temple, which has been glorified by the Nayanmars, is said to be the place where Lord Shiva gave darshan to sage Agastya. Known as the Thandthondreeswarar Temple, it is located in the Tranquebar taluk.
It finds reference in the Thevaram hymns and is called Thirusumponpallu. There are many temples located here, the chief among them being - Swarnapureswarar Temple, Shanmuga Subramaniaswamy Temple , Sengazhuneer Vinayagar Temple, Aadhi Narayana Perumal Temple, and the Vaithyanathaswamy Temple.
This is the place where Lord Shiva prevented Yama, the god of death, from taking the life of 16-year-old Markandeyan. Lord Shiva is called Kala Samhara Murthy. Devotees who come here, celebrate their longevity on completing their 60, 70 or 80 years [known as Sashtiabda Poorthi, Beemaradha Shanti and Sathabishekam].
Here Lord Anjaneya has 10 arms and is called Dasabuja Veera Anjaneya. It is in a small village near Thirukkadaiyur and is frequented by thousands of devotees.
See Temples around Poompuhar
Content from Spiritual: Other Temples: Sirghazi : Para 2 [The one that comes immediately after Legends]
See Navagraha Temples
The 300-ton chariot is 96 feet high and is the grandest feature of the car festival in the Thyagaraja Swamy Temple. People turn up in the lakhs, and the lord is worshipped as Moolanathar.
This used to be a Danish colony between 1620 and 1845, and Christian missionaries spread the religion out here. After 225 years, the Danes sold it to the East India Company. The fort and its architecture are a must see out here. It is just 25 kms from Poompuhar and the locals call it Tarangambadi [meaning the Village of the Dancing Waves].
This fort of Dansborg was built in 1620, and many parts of the fort have been constructed and reconstructed from time to time. Surrounded by a moat, it can be accessed over a drawbridge. It has a governor’s complex, a church, residential quarters, barracks, warehouses, kitchen and a jail complex in the likes of a self-contained town.
Built in the year 1701, it is one of the oldest protestant churches. It was renovated by the Danes around 1782 and is called the Church of South India.
Danish architecture in 1792.
Built in 1305 this temple is an architectural marvel of Maravarma Kulasekara Pandian. Its frontage has been damaged by sea erosion.
Danish Governor’s Bungalow:
As its name signifies, this is where the governor lived in 1784, and it is the biggest building in Tarangambadi.
Bus facilities are available to this place from Nagapattinam, Mayiladuthurai, Poompuhar and Sirkazhi. Tourists from Chennai to Poompuhar by private carriers can take the route through Tindivanam, Pondicherry, Cuddalore and Sirkazhi. Those who come from Madurai, Sirkazhi and Tirunelveli may proceed through Melur, Tiruppathur, Karaikudi, Tharangampadi and Akkur. They can also come through Pudukkottai, Thanjavur, and Mayiladuthurai.
Tourists have to alight at Mayiladuthurai Railway Junction, to proceed to Poompuhar by road. Visitors from Chennai who travel by train have to get down at Sirkazhi. Poompuhar is connected to Mayiladuthurai and Sirkazhi by road. The distance from Poompuhar to Mayiladuthurai is 24 kms and to Sirkazhi, 21 kms.
Nearest airport Trichy, 140 kms.