It was called CholakulaVallipattinam during the reign of the Cholas and is rich historically as well as culturally. It was significant in Burmese history around 3rd BC, and the Buddha Vihara built by King Ashoka finds special mention. The same vihara finds a place of mention in a book by Hieun Tsang.
The Portuguese established a commercial hub out here in 1554, which led to the spread of Christianity in the region. It then came under the rule of the Dutch and British.
The Nagore Dargah, a 16th Century site, showcases Hindu & Muslim unity.
Karyarohana Swami and Neelayadakshi Temple:
This is one of seven temples called the SapthaVidangam of the Thyagaraja cult. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, it portrays Thyagaraja’s different dance postures. An ancient temple that has been built around the 6th Century, it finds mention in the Thevaram.
Soundararaja Perumal Temple:
Revered in the Nalayira Divya Prabhandam, this temple for Lord Vishnu is one of the holy 108 Divya Desams. The Sikkal, Vedaranyam and Ettukudi temple can also be visited from Nagapattinam.
The Nagore Dargah in Nagapattinam has been built over the tomb of Sufi saint Shahul Hameed [1490 – 1579] who was born in Manikpur, Uttar Pradesh. He was a 13th generation descendant of renowned Sufi saint and had his Islamic education in Gwalior. He is said to have been simple and pious and his miracles earned him the name of Nagore Andavar. He was also called Meera Sahib and Quadir Wali.
As per local legend, he is said to have cured king Achutappa Nayak, the ruler of Thanjavur, of a physical affliction caused by sorcery. The king then donated 200 acres of land and the Dargah was built on a part of the land gifted by him.
Kodikkarai [Point Calimere]
Situated around 70 kms from Nagapattinam, this sanctuary was created in 1967 for the conservation of Blackbucks. Its sandy coast is fringed by saline swamps and thorny scrub. It is known for the congregation of waterbirds, especially the great flamingos.
Vedaranyam[104 kms]: It is also called Thirumarakkadu, and it came into prominence during the Salt Satyagraha held by Rajagopalachari in 1930. The Vedaranyeswarar Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva, was built by Aditya Chola to commemorate his victory in the Tirupuambiyam battle.
This temple for Lord Shiva has been glorified by Saint Arunagiri Nathar.
This Bramhapureeswarar Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva, is more than 1000 years old.
This is the only place in Tamil Nadu where a temple has been dedicated to Goddess Saraswathi – the goddess of education, wisdom and fine arts.
This is also called as Rajamannargudi. Kulothunga Cholan Vinnagaram or the Rajagopalaswamy temple is called as the King of Temples. Here, Lord Vishnu is called as Rajagopalan or Rajamannar.
Road: Both Government and Private Road Transport System supports the passengers in and out of Nagapattinam.
Rail: Trains from Nagapattinam Junction connects Thanjavur, Tiruchirappalli Chennai and other parts of State and Country.
Air: Tiruchirappalli Airport is 150 Kms from here. Many Domestic airlines connect Trichy to other parts of the country. International Flights are available to Colombo and Kualalumpur.